The first record of choral singing in Perth dates from 1840 or 1841 - the exact date is uncertain. The precentor of a local church had gathered a group of singers who formed themselves into a society, meeting weekly in the Guild Hall. In 1861 the Perth Choral Union was founded under the direction of Mr. David Bayne, from Glasgow, but lapsed in 1867.
Our own Choral Society was founded in 1890 by Mr. Stephen Richardson, the then organist at St. Ninian’s Cathedral. Known as Mr. Richardson’s Choral Society, performances were given at the Perth City Hall and St Ninian’s Cathedral, with many distinguished soloists. Mr. Richardson died suddenly in 1937 and a group of Perth business men met to determine how best to help the Society for it was felt that it should not perish. At the Annual General meeting in 1938 the name was changed to “Perth Choral Society founded by Mr. Stephen Richardson in 1890.”
The Society was in abeyance from December 1940 until April 1948 because of the Second World War. It was revived later in 1948 and from then, the Society has grown and progressed under the baton of several fine conductors. The Constitution of the Society (now named Perth Choral Society) states that it exists for “the performance of major sacred and secular works, in public or in private - and to promote the appreciation of the art of music."